Essay On Depression: Causes, Symptoms And Effects
Our life is full of emotional ups and downs, but when the time of down lasts too long or influences our ability to function, in this case, probably, you suffer from common serious illness, which is called depression. Clinical depression affects your mood, thinking process, your body and behaviour. According to the researches, in the United States about 19 million people, i.e. one in ten adults, annually suffer from depression, and about 2/3 of them do not get necessary help. An appropriate treatment can alleviate symptoms of depression in more than 80% of such cases. However, since depression is usually not recognized, it continues to cause unnecessary suffering.
Depression is a disease that dominates you and weakens your body, it influences men as well as women, but women experience depression about two times more often than men.
Since this issue is very urgent nowadays, we decided to write this cause and effect essay on depression to attract the public attention one more time to this problem. I hope it will be informative and instructive for you. If you are interested in reading essays on similar or any other topic, you should visit our website. There you will find not only various essays, but also you can get help in essay writing. All you need is to contact our team, and everything else we will do for you.
Depression is a strong psychological disorder, from which usually suffers not only a patients, but also his / hers family, relatives, friends etc.
More often depression develops on the basis of stress or prolonged traumatic situation. Frequently depressive disorders hide under the guise of a bad mood or temper features. In order to prevent severe consequences it is important to figure out how and why depression begins.
Symptoms and causes of depression
As a rule, depression develops slowly and insensibly for a person and for his close ones. At the initial stage most of people are not aware about their illness, because they think that many symptoms are just the features of their personality. Experiencing inner discomfort, which can be difficult to express in words, people do not ask for professional help, as a rule. They usually go to doctor at the moment, when the disease is already firmly holds the patient causing unbearable suffering.
Risk factors for depression:
- being female;
- the presence of depression in family anamnesis;
- early depression in anamnesis;
- early loss of parents;
- the experience of violence in anamnesis;
- personal features;
- stressors (parting, guilt);
- alcohol / drug addiction;
- neurological diseases (Parkinson's disease, apoplexy).
Signs of depression
Depression influences negatively all the aspects of human life. Inadequate psychological defense mechanisms, in their turn, affect destructively not only psychological, but also biological processes.
The first signs of depression are apathy, not depending on the circumstances, indifference to everything what is going on, weakening of motor activity; these are the main clinical symptoms of depression. If their combination is observed for more than two weeks, urgent professional help is required.
- depressed mood, unhappiness;
- loss of interest, reduced motivation, loss of energy;
- self-doubt, guilt, inner emptiness;
- decrease in speed of thinking, inability to make decisions;
- anxiety, fear and pessimism about the future;
- daily fluctuations;
- possible delirium;
- suicidal thoughts.
- vital disorders;
- disturbed sleep (early waking, oversleeping);
- eating disorders;
- feeling of tightness of the skull, dizziness, feeling of compression;
- vegetative symptoms.
Causes of depression
It is accepted to think in modern psychiatry that the development of depression, as well as most of other mental disorders, requires the combined effect of three factors: psychological, biological and social.
Psychological factor (“Personality structure”)
There are three types of personality especially prone to depression:
1) “Statothymic personality” that is characterized by exaggerated conscientiousness, diligence, accuracy;
2) Melancholic personality type with its desire for order, constancy, pedantry, exessive demands on itself;
3) Hyperthymic type of personality that is characterized by self-doubt, frequent worries, with obviously low self-esteem.
People, whose organism biologically tends to depression development, due to education and other social environmental factors form such personality features, which in adverse social situations, especially while chronic stress, cause failure of psychological adaptation mechanisms, skills to deal with stress or lack of coping strategies.
Such people are characterized by:
- lack of confidence in their own abilities;
- excessive secrecy and isolation;
- excessive self-critical attitude towards yourself;
- waiting for the support of the close ones;
- developed pessimism;
- inability to resist stress situations;
- emotional expressiveness.
- the presence of unfavorable heredity;
- somatic and neurological head injury that violated brain activity;
- changes in the hormonal system;
- chronobiological factors: seasonal depressive disorders, daily fluctuations, shortening of REM sleep;
- side effects of some medications.
- Heredity and family tendency to depression play significant role in predisposition to this disease. It is noticed that relatives of those who suffer from depression usually have different psychosomatic disorders.
- the presence of frequent stress situations, chronic stress;
- adverse family relationships;
- adverse childhood experience, the absence of tenderness from parents, ill-treatment and sexual harassment, interpersonal loss, severe methods of education, negative childhood memories;
- significant changes in the life;
- population migration;
- increased lifetime.
People in a state of chronic stress suffer from depression more often. If some acute stress situation happens during the period of chronic stress, the probability of depression symptoms development increases.
If you decide to fight the depression, remember that you are not alone! Every fifth person in the world at least once in the life experienced depression. If you notice the signs of depression that disturb you for more than two weeks, you should go to the specialist.
Do not delay visit, in this case time does not heal. The professionalism of the doctors and a complex program of treatment will help to get rid of any kind of depression.
Where to go for help
If you do not where to go for help, ask your family physician, obstetrician, gynecologist or the clinic. In an emergency situation, the emergency doctor can provide temporary help for patients with emotional problems and give them an advice where and how they can ask for the further help.
Here is the list of people and organizations that can diagnose and suggest a course of treatment, or can give a direction to the examination and treatment.
- Family doctors.
- Such specialists as psychiatrists, psychologists, social workers and consultants on mental health.
- Health maintenance organizations.
- Local centers for the treatment of mental illness.
- The Department of Psychiatry in hospitals and outpatient clinics.
- Programs at universities and medical schools.
- Family assistance services and social services departments.
- Private clinics and institutions.
- Care centers in the workplace.
- Local health and (or) mental health communities.
It is very important in depressive episode treatment to understand that this is depression of a certain person, do not make attempts to excessive generalization of symptoms and factors of disease development. It requires personal approach to each patient.
So, as you can see, depression is a serious disease that requires professional treatment. If you manage to recognize the signs of depression at its early stage and ask for professional help, you can successfully overcome this problem. I hope this essay about depression was useful for you, and you got what you were looking for.